No that’s not a typo. It’s my extreme effort to get you to pick ONE Thing
when starting your freelance work in fitness, health and wellness and not to be like I was.
Now understand this – I am speaking about me in this post… NOT you. If you can relate to my uncalculated risks and reckless adventures, great, I hope you get a take away… but remember I am writing about me.
This metaphor about The Conslutant…appeals to the side of desperation and low-level tactics I used to get paid and more.
You need to acknowledge, identify and if possible avoid this behavior. It’s also me trying to get you to join our Recycled Nurse Movement (opt-in) and start recycling your life skills for extra money/freelance work and start out right, “Start out how you want to end up!” (As my Nana always said)
So, let’s begin my plight (Even though this is real, it’s o.k. to laugh. Actually I hope you do)…
That’s who I was… a Conslutant. Not a ConSULTant… A ConSLUTant.
Don’t be like me. Don’t do what I did,
I was a whore.
A whore will repeatedly do anything for money.
This is what I did…
- Let’s get this right off the table – I was a “certification whore”. If you are starting to feel a bit of offense coming up in you – just know, I would get certified from the back of a cereal box, if needed, back in the day (the 80’s) – You may never do that… therefore you’re probably not a “certification whore” like me… so rest assured and enjoy my plight…At one point, I had about 8 fitness certifications and maybe 3 in nursing. From back of magazine to weekend programs to online programs and all kinds of schools. I recognize the importance of “knowing your shit” and having a validation.
Hell, I used to teach travel on weekends (Friday-Sunday), certifying personal trainers, so I can appreciate accomplishing something… but I was a whore with it.
Today guess how many I have?
None. Nada. Zero.
Do I still have that knowledge? Of course I do. But I didn’t need so many. Obtaining some of them caused unwanted stress and grief with my health and in personal relationships too.
You know if you might be going down this garden path to getting certified in everything when – someone you used to know and hasn’t seen you for a while – asks you,
“You do what again?”
and you freeze and “pick one” of you “certs” in your mind.
Then blurt out something that sounds questionable. Like a fusion of 2 or more certs, “I’m a ‘doula-Yoga-lates Instructor Coach’ and I supervise in the ER , sometimes”. Then you try to explain yourself.This sounds painful doesn’t it? I know because I used to do this.
Does this happen to you, ever? No?
Well, like I said, this is about me.
- I’d chase people and even wait for prospects on the street or parking lot and approach them with an offer. When they refused, I’d lower my price and my morals and offer another trick.
- I’d have 7 or more different business cards at one time; one for every position/fantasy title I could be or do. It was like a was some sort of Secret or Double Agent.
Someone would ask me in an elevator, at a conference, “So, who are you?” I would answer, “So who do you want me to be?”
OR “So, what do you do?” and I would answer, “I’m a conslutant, what are you looking for? I can do it all.”
- When asked how much were my conslutant services, I would say, I charge by the hour. But I also do 1/2 hour rates.
If the prospect showed less interest than I hoped, I’d suddenly have a one-time-only special offer and say “I have a special and I can charge by the 1/4 hour. Everybody has 15 minutes, right?”.
If I didn’t hear from the prospect in a day, I would call them and say,
“I do group rates too… yes, group rates for a 1/4 hour and yes, I can come there on a Friday afternoon on the weekend of the 4th of July”.
(sound like a whore yet?)
- I’d respond back to everybody and anybody who showed me any interest at all. This could be on social media and on phone calls. I pre-qualified no one. Basically you just had to be human and able to “possibly” pay. ‘Cause many times I didn’t get paid.
- I’d go to networking events and fling my business cards at anyone within 4 feet of me.
- On the computer, I’d see someone had an idea that brought them in money, I’d buy it and then copy it… my attempts to replicate their success was demoralizing. I did all this work to be like someone else and I never got a call back. (womp, womp)
- Over the years, I’d offer every service/program ever thought of in fitness & health for everybody and anybody. I learned that from the hospital health resource department that I worked for. I offered a hundred choices for their (the community’s) selection.
- Here’s an example below of a hospital health resource dept. nutrition programs. We did health education programs in the community. I worked for them and got a lot of whore training here, about 13 years worth. This was just the nutrition programs! The fitness programs were just as extensive.
This list serves absolutely everybody… and some animals and space aliens.
Remember hospitals have large marketing budgets. You and I don’t. It is foolish to think you can serve what a large hospital system can, even if you have the “knowledge” in all of those topics.
One of the biggest mistakes I see nurses who want to do freelance work in fitness/health make is they want to work with anybody which is everybody.
For example I just got an email the other day from a nurse, with a great history of skills and experience, said she wanted to do fitness and health improvement work with pre-teens, busy moms and some men. That’s just about everybody right? How do you find these people and position yourself around that market? How can you provide a ass-kicking result with very different wants and needs of these 3 groups?
I don’t even want to discuss the broadness of “fitness” and “health improvement”. In here defense she didn’t speak to me. But I can almost tell by that she wrote, she’ headed down that road of “slutdom” in her marketing efforts and getting attention.
I know it’s challenging because I did the same thing. That’s what got me started down the road of becoming a slut. A Conslutant. Being all things to all people. Before ‘Minky’, “cheap & easy” were my middle name.
I’m sure many of you are quite well versed in many topics in fitness, health and wellness. If you don’t learn to become the best in one area and position yourself to those people in that area, that expertise you have, will get “lost in the sauce”.
Recycling skills and life experiences take time. First decide. Then try very hard to focus on what you want to accomplish.
Creating a freelance project may help you accomplish that. Finding your why, who, what and how to position yourself and find your distinction is what I wish I had done first.
This is your USP. (Unique Selling Proposition)
You can’t be authentic and confident in what you do without it. You can’t build a brand without it.
Without USP – You can’t answer the “How” in these very important questions for you – “What is your immediate goal? To make money or to get visibility?” They may crossover down the road, but they are different when you start creating your freelance work project and in your day-to-day actions.
Early on, I combined both, a mistake.
I ended up being “visible at the moment” and made some cash, then “poof” I was invisible again. Nobody wants to be associated with a networking desperado doing the “walk of shame” afterwards.
Even though it may take time, don’t do what I did and spend years “busting your ass” solving “everybody’s” problem that they didn’t know they had.
When your ready to join and recycle yourself, let me know,
loriradcliffecfn at gmail dot com